Friday, February 1, 2008

Let sleeping babies lie...

Greg and I have been so blessed with a beautiful baby who generally, only cries when he is hungry. Sure, he'll fuss in the car seat and he HATES tummy time, but for the most part he is a GREAT baby! As I type this entry, the little guy is sleeping just as you see him here. I took the pic right before I started typing. (Note: I had to use my old camera because it was at my desk and the "new" one is downstairs.) The boppy is on my lap, I'm sitting at my computer and I'm letting the sleeping baby lie.

Sleep has been our latest challenge. I never knew it sleep would be such an issue! I mean, he is a baby, when he is tired, he'll close his eyes and *poof* off to dreamland. When he first got here we had to work to keep him awake to eat (See below post "Packing on the pounds").

But now... he resists.

I was doing some reading on infant sleep and the author was talking about how parents need to make the environment such that the baby will "give" himself to sleep. At our house, sleep is a work in progress. Every night, when the glazed over look appears, we trot upstairs, do a quick diaper change, dim the lights, and I nurse him to sleep while Greg reads outloud. Dad's deep voice often lulls mom into a state of peace and relaxation. Wesley usually "gives in" and then the real challenge ensues.

Transferring him from my arms into the crib.

Some nights it goes well, sometimes we have to replay the whole scene, sometimes the cat nap was just enough to make him alert and we go back downstairs to play. Thankfully, he doesn't play durring the middle of the night. Just wakes up for feedings (still - every 3 hours!)

I have so much more to say about the whole topic. Dealing with long term sleep deprivation (I now know why it is used as an effective method of torture!) The real sucky part are the times I feed him in the middle of the night and then I can't get back to sleep.

I know Wesley is capable of falling asleep on his own, he does it in the carseat, in the sling when I'm carrying him around town and even in his swing. I can get him to sleep by nursing him and I swear Greg is going to wear ruts in the carpet with the amount of walking he'll do with the baby in his arms. It must be something about the movement. But how to help him fall asleep in the crib?

As I ponder possible solutions the little one stirrs. Enough for today.

1 comment:

joes_love said...

maybe if you invent a vibrating crib mattress, you'll get rich AND get some sleep ;-)