Monday, February 4, 2008

Oh Goody!

That is what Greg said when I walked in the door today. Well, first I said "We've got meat." Now it sounds strange in any household to enter through the door and proclaim what you've purchased. But, in our house, lately, it means "We've got A LOT of meat!"

There is a website I've been frequenting lately, Slick Deals, where people talk about how to get the best deals on items, electronics, food, baby stuff. Sometimes there is a price mistake and people exploit it. Ususally there is a coupon "deal" going on. Now some of these people are downright crazy. I REFUSE to buy things I don't want or need. But I'll give you an example of what some people in America are doing.

At CVS they have a program called "Extra Care Bucks", where if you buy a qualifying item (they change weekly/monthly) you get a coupon that prints out with your reciept and you "get" some money "back" to spend on a future purchase.

The fanatical ones will go to CVS, buy a diabetes glucose monitor WITH a coupon, and get the Extra Care Bucks. Since they used the coupon, they "make" money on the deal. They'll do this multiple times and end up with 8 glocose monitors and extra funds to use towards other schemes and then the cycle continues and grows. Personally, I think that is a bit much.

I'll stick to items actually used in my house.

Today I came home with:
10 packages of hot dogs and
20 packages of sausage

Total spent = $25.00
AND I have a $10 coupon for my next purchase at Safeway
(This particular "deal" is at Safeway)

Thankfully we have a second freezer! Anyone want a hot dog?

No comments: