Tuesday, September 1, 2009

a little drink

Being a toddler is the start of that inbetween stage of being a baby and becoming an independent being. It is a daily struggle, learning to do things on your own, full of try try try again. And it can be just as rough on the parents, watching your little one work so hard to assert themselves. I must also mention it can be a battle of the wills.

It isn't always easy to give Wesley the opportunities he needs to learn new skills. Drinking out of a real cup can get pretty messy at times, so I have found it best to only put a splash of liquid in the cup. This morning I gave him a little (and I mean little) water in a cup (actually a snack trap, but it has two handles so it makes it a little easier to hold).

I thought he would drink it in the kitchen as soon as I gave it to him. Instead he carried it into the living room so he could watch a little TV. When he was done he carried the cup back into the kitchen, held it up to the water dispenser and asked for "more, more, more." I'd give him another splash and he'd go back to the living room, sit on the couch, drink and then return to the kitchen for more. This went on for three cycles until I grabbed the video camera. I just love how he toddles about!

No comments: