Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nighttime Pediatrics

I picked up Wesley from daycare Thursday afternoon. As I entered the center, I saw a notice to parents stating that one of the children was diagnosed with pinkeye and for parents to be on the lookout. Wesley has had a runny nose and a cough for a couple days, but I just figured it was a virus. Now that he is being exposed to more kids, that means more bugs, and I figured he might get sick a couple times until he gets acclimated to all the germs at daycare.

I headed back to the infant room and talked with the director about the sick child and found out it was another infant... "oh great!" I thought, and I scooped up my tired little guy (who was resisting nap time, again!), greeted him with hugs and kisses as he rested his tired little head on my shoulder. I put him in the car seat and he promptly fell asleep as we started the drive home.

He slept in the car, he slept when we got home and when he did wake up, I started to nurse him and he fell asleep in my arms. When he finally woke up (after sleeping for almost two hours!), I took him upstairs to change his diaper and I noticed he felt rather warm. I checked his temperature and sure enough, it was 101.8. We paged our pediatrician and called Nighttime Pediatrics and secured an 8:10 PM appointment.

Now, Nighttime Pediatrics is an after hours care center that also sees adults too. It is for those urgent needs, but nonemergent care. Welsey had a fever and coupled with his symptoms I figured he needed to be seen by a doctor. We headed to the appointment and saw a very nice doctor there. Wesley did not have pink eye, despite the exposure at daycare, but he did have an ear infection and a sinus infection. After some Tylenol and starting his ten day course of antibiotics, he is feeling much better. Nighttime Pediatrics is a GREAT service and should the need arise, we would gladly use them again. They even called the next day to check in and see how Wesley was doing and if he was improving. By the way, he weighed 17lbs 10oz at his appointment.

1 comment:

Gem said...

Poor Wesley! Hopefully he's taking his medicine well. I really loved that Amoxicillin, it tastes like bubble gum!