Monday, December 1, 2008

Strope Waffles


Stroopwafels (STROPE-vah-fels) - crisp, thin waffle cookies with a layer of butter caramel in the middle.

In a word... Yum!

In two words... Dutch Yum!

This past Thanksgiving weekend I was introduced to this Dutch treat by my Stepfather, who is Dutch, don'tcha know. After consuming the first batch of tasty goodness, I was hooked.

Our nightly ritual with the family consists of playing 15 dot dominoes, complete with a rousing tune of La Coucaracha every time a Mexican train is formed. The joke became that the winner would get one of the strope waffles which Henk had kept hidden from us. He never did pony up with our prizes we longed for, but when Greg and I departed for home, he gave me the last package as a sweet parting gift.

Now, why would those crazy Dutchies only put 8 waffles in a package? Eight is definitely NOT ENOUGH!

No comments: