Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Make New Friends

Wesley had his first day at his new daycare today. We were on a wait list for this school and finally got in! This center was our preference because it is closer to where we live, on the campus where I work and costs a lot less with my employee discount. Cheaper and more convienent - yea all around! We did like our previous dayare, but this "new" one is just a better fit for us and our needs.

That being said, Greg used to be the one dropping Wesley off in the morning. Now, it is my responsibility. It was strange, going someplace, taking him out of the car seat and then driving away. It was sad, and in some ways writing it out makes it sound worse than it really was. When I took him out of his car seat, I held him in my arms and cuddled him as I checked him in, got his stuff in order, and said my goodbyes. He turned to the assistant director and reached out for her and easily went into her arms. He hasn't experienced much stranger anxiety as of yet. It was a fairly easy parting and for that I was glad.

When I went to pick him up after work, he was playing quietly with a Cookie Monster rattle. I picked him up and smothered him with hugs and kisses. Then I tried to set him on the floor so I could take a couple pictures to document his first day at his new school. I took a couple pictures, but Wesley did NOT want to be put down. He kept crawling over to me and tried with all his might to tell me that in my arms was the exact place he wanted to be. It made me feel so good to be needed, but so awful that he had been missing me and feared I would leave him again. The daycare provider said he would cry whenever one of them (there are 2 assigned to the infant room) would leave the room. Oh how sad! I cuddled my baby and fed him the bottle he was due to eat, and then he let me set him down to snap a few more shots. He relaxed a bit with the coaxing of the providers as well and I can tell he is in good hands with caring people at this new facility.

Of course, when I got him in the car, he knew he was going home and I got the BIGGEST smile!

No comments: